If you are terrified of the dental office, we are here to help you feel more comfortable in the dental chair by eliminating your fear! Being afraid of the dentist and the dental office is a common fear that can be treated. In order to help you have the best dental experience possible, we strongly recommend doing the following things:
• Bring someone you love and trust to your appointment with you. If you do, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed throughout your treatment.
• Try relaxation techniques to control your breathing. If you take a deep breath, hold it for a couple seconds, and let it out slowly, your heart beat will slow and you will feel more relaxed.
• Bring some music to listen to during your treatment. Better yet, bring new music that you are not extremely familiar with. That way, you will focus more on the music than on the dentist and your mouth.
• Talk to your dentist about having a “stop” signal. If you decide on a signal, like raising your hand or making a unique noise, your dentist will know when you are uncomfortable and when to give you the breaks you need.
• Talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry. There are many sedatives that can help you feel more relaxed throughout your appointment, including oral sedation, nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas), and IV sedation. Your dentist will be happy to supply a beneficial sedative that will calm your nerves during your appointment.
To learn more about ridding your dental anxiety, call our office today. We are delighted to help you love your dental visits more and more each day!